TikTok maintained its standing among the most popular social media platforms in 2023, used and loved by many users of all ages. Here’s everything you need to know about this social platform and why regular folks and businesses like it.
Table of contents
What is TikTok? TikTok is a social media platform full of short and entertaining videos.
@tiktok Welcome to TikTok! 🙌⏱ #MakeEverySecondCount#MakeEverySecondCount#MakeEverySecondCount ♬ original sound – TikTok
Youngsters love it. Adults don’t understand it. However, its popularity cannot be denied.
For perspective, Facebook and Instagram took nearly a decade to gather hundreds of millions of users. TikTok did that in just 4 years.
How? TikTok is smart and knows how to show videos.
The platform is huge right now, and it’s only getting bigger and bigger.
Let’s dive into these fantastic stats.
Quick TikTok Statistics (Editor’s Picks)
- TikTok Active Users: TikTok has a massive 1.677 billion global users in 2023, with 1.1 billion monthly active users.
- US Users: There are over 150 million in the US.
- Number of Downloads: TikTok has been downloaded 3.5 billion times in 2023, marking a 79.1% growth since 2020, with a notable peak in 2022 (as the most downloaded app).
- Overtaking Competition: TikTok is currently the leading social media app, edging out competitors like Twitter and Snapchat but still chasing Facebook and YouTube.
- TikTok Revenue: TikTok generated 2.475 billion USD in Q1 2023, reaching 9.401 billion USD by the end of 2022.
- Popular Categories: The top content categories on TikTok are entertainment, dance, pranks, fitness/sports, and DIY, with entertainment being the most viewed.
- User Demographics: Most of TikTok’s users are Gen Z (between 9 and 24 years old), with a slight female dominance at 51%.
- Average Time on the App: Users of TikTok spend an average of 95 minutes daily on the app, equating to over 6 hours weekly and about 26 hours monthly, viewing over 1 billion videos daily.
- TikTok & Marketing: Advertisers on TikTok can engage with over 1.081 billion adult users monthly, including approximately 885 million users aged 18 and above.
When Was TikTok Made
Started in China as Douyin by Bytedance in September 2016.
TikTok is the international version and was made in September 2017.
Now, TikTok is available in 155 countries, working in 39 languages via Google Pay and App Store.
Monthly Number Of Active TikTok Users
How many users are there in TikTok?
Who uses TikTok? The better question is, who doesn’t?
TikTok currently has 1.1 billion monthly active users.
Since its launch in 2017, TikTok has been one of the fastest-growing apps worldwide, and its user count is massively increasing year by year.
Here’s the number of monthly active users from 2017:
|Year||Monthly Active Users (in Millions)|
What are the demographics of TikTok users?
In March 2023, TikTok reported that the US leads in TikTok usage with about 150 million users.
This represents a 50% growth compared to the reported figure of 100 million MAU in August 2020.
Indonesia is the second country, with nearly 100 million users, and Brazil rounds out the top three with about 83.33 million users (about twice the population of California).
These are the countries with the largest TikTok audience as of July 2023:
|Country||Number of Users (in millions)|
Stats also show that women make up 51% of the users, while men make up 49%.
TikTok users by age:
63% of TikTok users are aged 10-29.
Media & Entertainment: Unlocking Its Full Potential
Only 19% of the app’s user base is over 40. Although more and more adults are using it.
Most TikTok users are young, mostly between 19 and 29 years old.
It is reported that 35% of TikTok’s user base in the United States belongs to Gen Z.
Below, we’ve put together a table that shows TikTok users broken down by age:
|19 – 29||35%|
|30 – 39||18%|
Number Of TikTok Downloads
How many downloads does TikTok have (App Store & Google Play)?
TikTok has become the first non-Facebook aka Meta app to hit 3 billion downloads.
In 2022, TikTok was the leading mobile app globally, recording around 670 million downloads throughout App Store and Google Play.
By 2027, it is expected that approximately 2.25 billion users will be using it.
Top TikTok Downloads Global
Latest industry analytics from June 2023 showcase:
- TikTok is now in 155 countries and comes in 39 languages.
- A surge over 5.6 million downloads was witnessed in Brazil.
- A close follow-up with almost 5 million downloads recorded in Indonesia
- The US surpassed a remarkable milestone with over 220 million TikTok downloads in total.
- TikTok maintains an amazing daily user base in China too, with over 780 million users.
Key TikTok Usage Statistics
How much time do people spend on TikTok?
People spend a lot of time on TikTok.
Globally, the average time spent on TikTok per day is 95 minutes (+1.5 hours) per day.
90% of TikTok users open the app every single day. The average person in the US will open the TikTok app +10 times a day.
The average time spent on TikTok is 23.3 hours per month.
Users in the US spent 26 hours on this social media app. Users in the United Kingdom spent more than 27 hours on average using TikTok. Meanwhile, users in Argentina spent almost 120 hours monthly on the app.
It’s unbelievable how popular the app has become.
Every minute, users view 167 million TikTok videos.
TikTok Revenue Statistics
TikTok revenue growth & how much it’s worth?
In the Q1 of 2023, TikTok made $2.475 billion.
This revenue comes from more people using the app, in-app ads, and reaching new places globally.
Advertisers like TikTok because it has different ad types and helps them connect with younger folks who use the app.
Below is a table displaying TikTok’s quarterly revenue from users worldwide from Q1 2018 to Q1 2023:
|Year by Quarters||Revenue (in millions)|
Most Used Social Media Site
What is the most popular social media platform worldwide?
Facebook is still the most popular social media.
However, TikTok has a massive user base of 1.1 billion active users, ranking it 6th among social networks.
Here are the actual numbers for better comparison:
|Social Media||Number of Users (in millions)|
Top TikTok Users
The most-followed TikTok user is Khaby Lame, known for his humorous and silent video reactions. He gained around 1.62 million followers.
@khaby.lame Cm on bro 🤲🏾🤲🏾🤲🏾🤲🏾🤲🏾!! #learnfromkhaby #learnwithtiktok #imparacontiktok #khabylame ♬ suono originale – Khabane lame
TOP 10: Popular TikTokers / Creators
Here are the follower numbers of TikTok influencers:
|TikToker||Number of Followers (in millions)|
Now, tell us what you think!
Well, TikTok’s growth is seriously impressive! We bet it’s only going to get bigger and better from here.
Btw, if you enjoyed this post, we’ve got more for you.
- Tesla Sales, Revenue & Production for 2023: The Complete Statistics
- Netflix Subscribers Growth: Numbers, Revenue, Statistics (2023)
- Apple Sales Statistics in 2023: Revenue Growth Outlook
- Twitter User Statistics – How Many People Are Using Twitter in 2023?
Got something more to say? Drop a comment below!
Ready to get started?
Learn how your business can thrive with Tridens Monetization for Media & Entertainment.Schedule a Demo