OCPI protocol is a globally recognized electric vehicle (EV) charging standard used by many companies and roaming hubs and is accessible for all to utilize and benefit from.
Table of contents
What Is OCPl
Open Charge Point Interface (OCPI) protocol is an open EVRoaming standard that ensures seamless communication between EV charging stations and their operators.
OCPI promotes interoperability among diverse charging networks and enables seamless “roaming” for EV users across these networks.
O.C.P.I Core Functionalities
- Roaming via Hub: A centralized system that allows different EV charging networks to communicate and interact, making cross-network charging possible.
- Ad Hoc Payment: This enables EV drivers to make one-time payments for charging without needing a subscription or prior registration.
- Authorization: A process that validates an EV driver’s access to a particular charging point, ensuring security and billing.
- Reservation: Allows EV drivers to book a charging point in advance, ensuring availability upon arrival.
- EV Billing: The system that manages and processes charges incurred by EV drivers during their charging sessions.
- Charge Point Information: Provides details about a specific charging point, including its location, capabilities, and availability.
- Real-Time Charge Point Information: Offers live updates on a charging point’s status, such as its current availability or ongoing charging sessions.
- Session Information: Details about a charging session, including start time, duration, energy consumed, and cost.
- Remote Start/Stop: EV drivers can initiate or end a charging session remotely, typically through a mobile app or online platform.
Who’s Involved In OCPI
The OCPI protocol involves various players, such as E-Mobility Service Providers (EMSPs) and Charge Point Operators (CPOs), united in hubs.
📖 Learn the differences between CPOs and EMSPs.
Hubs established between CPOs and EMSPs are crucial for improving the efficiency of charging networks (see the picture below 👇).
The OCPI APIs play a critical role in facilitating open communication for EV charging and offer various functionalities between CPOs and EMSPs.
They continuously evolve to meet the needs of the industry.
OCPI API enables a charging management system (CMS) to interact with other software systems effortlessly (and many more).
For instance, APIs ensure EV drivers are always informed about available and occupied charging points.
How Does OCPI Work
The main aim of the OCPI protocol is to standardize the exchange of data.
- Sharing of address and location details of charging points for easy navigation.
- Exchange of electric specifications of charging hardware to match with EV needs.
- Provision of real-time status updates to keep EV drivers informed.
- Management of authentication credentials for secure backend communications.
- Transmission of remote commands to control charging sessions.
For EV drivers, it promises access to an unlimited charger network with real-time data on location, availability, and pricing.
On the technical side, OCPI is the bridge that connects the hardware, software, and backend infrastructures among various entities in the EV ecosystem.
Moreover, it creates opportunities for real partnerships among CPOs and EMSPs.
Not to forget, the latest version of OCPI is equipped with pioneering features like smart EV charging capabilities.
The latest OCPI version 2.2.1, offers key features such as tariff, CDR/token exchange, and session details.
👉 Notable upgrades from 2.1.1 include:
Smart EV Charging: Unlocking Its Full Potential
- Smart charging.
- Enhanced CDR for billing and real-time transaction info.
- Improved hub connectivity and multi-role support.
- Signed meter values for Eichrecht/Calibration law.
Looking ahead, the upcoming OCPI 3.0 will introduce major efficiency improvements.
There is no release date for this version yet.
OCPI Protocol Implementation
OCPI protocol is designed to streamline the EV charging experience by ensuring seamless data exchange and interoperability across various charging networks and platforms.
EV charging landscape’s rapid evolution positions OCPI to shape a harmonized future.
Tridens EV Charge is certified for Charge Point Protocols and compliant with ISO standards, delivering a seamless EV charging experience for everyone.
Ready to get started?
Learn how your business can thrive with Tridens EV Charge.Schedule a Demo